It is estimated that 9.2 million productive years of life were lost in India in 2000, with an expected increase to 17.9 million years in 2030.
Salient features of the CAD epidemic in India:
- Incidence of CAD in young Indians is about 12-16%, which is higher than any other ethnic group
- Age-standardized estimates for disability-adjusted life lost due to CAD per 1,000 population in India are three times higher than in developed countries.
- About 5-10% of heart attacks occur in Indian men and women younger than 40 years
- Median age of first heart attack in Indians is 53 years
- 1,55,88,000 DALYs (WHO, 2009)
The most popular citizen journalists' reports on merinews chosen automatically on the basis of views and comments
View more jobs