Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
  
93% CEOs foresee a substantial improvement in the near term economic situation: FICCI CEOs Survey
The country's economic situation has been treading in difficult waters for some time now. Amidst the current state of affairs, immediate action is required to cruise the economy towards a brighter horizon.

There is no doubt about the urgency to move to a higher growth trajectory. FICCI hopes that the new leadership will restore much needed investor confidence, attract higher investments and generate employment, especially in the manufacturing sector. Industry must be seen as a key factor in the nation's advancement by enabling efficient provision of goods and services and creation of jobs.

FICCI conducted a quick survey amongst its members to gauge the sentiment post election. The survey results are based on responses from about 76 CEOs, who are members of FICCI's National Executive Committee.

The election outcome raises expectations...

Majority of participating CEOs expect near term economic situation in the country to see substantial improvement with the new government coming at helm...

In the present survey a whopping majority of 93% CEOs said that they foresee a substantial improvement in the near term economic situation. The remaining 7% of the participants expected a marginal improvement.

The decision making machinery at the government level has witnessed a significant slowdown in recent past which has had an impact on growth as well. With new leadership on board, a majority 93% of the participating CEOs said that they certainly see a reversal as far as this trend is concerned. The remaining 7% were a little skeptical about a change in the decision making machinery.

Business and Investment Prospects over next 12 months:

A majority 82% cited a substantial improvement in their business and investment prospects over the next twelve months.

Critical challenges confronting the new government…

Participating CEOs indicated that there are a plethora of challenges facing the incoming government. The growth has decelerated quite notably and the situation of the manufacturing sector continues to remain worrisome.

A significant majority of the participants felt that issues related to factors of production- land, labour, capital and power are amongst the most critical challenges that the new government will have to deal with.  Inflation and need for tax reforms were also cited as other immediate concern areas. In fact, in its recently released agenda FICCI highlights these as the priority tasks that should be taken up by the incoming government.

Market for various factors of production has not seen much liberalisation. Be it land, labor or the capital market, we have a long way to go to ensure optimal utilization of these resources.

    Challenges:

    • Reform the factor market - Land/Labor/Capital/Power
    • Transparency and Stability in Policies
    • Tax reforms (Fiscal Deficit/ Subsidy Burden)
    • Stabilise inflation
    • Address corruption issue/ Trust Deficit
    • Handling of Non Performing Assets in Banking sector
    • Infrastructure creation
    • Review Free Trade Agreements

    Availability of land is a prerequisite for industrial development. However, the new Land Acquisition Act makes it virtually impossible to acquire land and industry would like to see a comprehensive review of the same.

    All natural resources are scarce and therefore access to these natural resources including land must be at equitable prices. The allocation must be rapid, enforceable and through transparent process.

    Labour laws in the country remain archaic and inflexible. There is an urgent need to review the existing labor laws. The new laws should be such that these create a greater balance between capital and labour intensity.

    India's two trillion dollar economy no doubt has an enormous capital requirement for sustaining its high growth aspiration. However, at present our financial sector is not geared to meet this requirement. It is imperative that we seek to attract capital from all acceptable resources. 

    We have to deepen and broaden our capital market to reduce dependence on FIIs. Also, the corporate debt market has to be strengthened to reduce dependence on banks for long term funding requirements. Consolidation amongst public sector banks may be considered for creating large sized banks.

    Inflation has been persistently high and remains a major concern area. Moderating prices is important as this will not only provide some relief to the last common denominator in society but will create space for an accommodative monetary policy.

    In addition, the CEOs also highlighted infrastructure development, increase in non-performing assets in the banking sector and law and order situation in the country as areas that need urgent attention of the new government.

    A suggestion was also made to review the impact of FTAs on India's economy and industry.

    It was mentioned that transparency and stability in policies should be the key thrust area for the government to boost investor confidence. The participating CEOs were of the view that government should consider repealing retrospective tax provisions that have negative implications on the conduciveness of investment environment. FICCI has already called for the need to make retrospective legislations a rare exception. A clear course of action should be set to end tax adventurism.

    It was also reflected by the CEOs that the forthcoming Union Budget should seriously look at subsidy rationalisation and bringing stability in fiscal regime.


COMMENTS (0)
Guest
Name
Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
}
Sign in to set your preference
Advertisement

Interesting content

merinews for RTI activists

Create email alerts

Total subscribers: 208575
Advertisement
Vibhav Kant Upadhyay
Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.