Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
Accused in Infosys techie's murder arrested
Chennai police, on Friday night arrested P Ram Kumar, 22, from Tirunelveli, near Kanyakumari in the case of the murder of Infosys employee S Swathi at Chennai's Nungambakkam railway station.

The police claimed that the accused tried to run out the backdoor of his home in Tirunelveli district and commit suicide when a police team entered from the front door around 10.30 pm on Friday.

"His intention was not to escape, but to slit his own throat with a blade. He injured his wrist and leg with a sharp iron object in an attempt to commit suicide," an officer said, describing a deep cut on his throat.

The accused has been admitted to General Hospital, Tirunelveli and on Tuesday, will be taken to Chennai for interrogation, the police said.

The police have claimed that the accused had arrived in Chennai on April 3 in search for work and had been stalking the victim for more than two months.

He had reportedly proposed marriage to Swathi, claiming he was an engineering graduate, a colleague had told the police after Swathi's murder. This rejection, the police believe, eventually led to the murder.

The case had gathered massive support on social media with the CCTV footage of the murder going viral. The police was given a deadline of Thursday by the High Court to solve the murder.

To nab the accused, the city police had formed several small teams and aided with a digitally enhanced image of the accused. They conducted search operations across a radius of 5 km of the railway station.

A security guard at a men's hostel on Sourashtra 8th Street in Choolaimedu identified him as Ram Kumar.

The police found that the youth had left the hostel the same day Swathi was killed.

The police raided his room and found a bloodstained shirt and then alerted Tirunelveli's SP, V Vikraman.

A woman sub-inspector, posing as a Revenue Department official confirmed that the accused had returned home a week ago. A team of 10 officers raided his home after 10 pm and arrested the accused.

Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
Sign in to set your preference
merinews for RTI activists

Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.