According to sources, the construction company was to devolve a system where 80 % dry/ sold ash was to be collected and remaining 20 % ash was to be merged with water and sent to dykes. But the system has not been made operative till date by the EPC contractor. Against the designed lifting of 6000 tonnes per day of dry ash, 500 to 600 tonnes are being sent to ash silos. The remaining 95 % ash is being pushed to ash dykes with heavy inflow of water. These days the units are not being operated on full load to keep the ash content within limit.
It may be mentioned that director Technical and a team of engineers from Central Electricity Authority visited the plant earlier this week to assess the critical situation and recommend ways and means to prevent the disaster. Their report is awaited.
Two dykes in 150 acres of land with 7 meters height have been designed for 20 % ash disposal and the same are now being used for 100 % ash disposal.
According to sources slurry inflow with high ash contents is 2500 cusecs and discharge has been limited to 1120 cusecs even with the use of third emergency pump. The present critical position has been reached in such a short span against normal period of about 20 years.
There is no irrigation or other drain nearby where the water can be released. Previously water was released to the farmers for use in their fields. Now with monsoon rain even farmers are not using any water for last two months.
The most popular citizen journalists' reports on merinews chosen automatically on the basis of views and comments
View more jobs