On Thursday, Srini agreed to step down; the apex court immediately suggested that Sunil Gavaskar should take over as BCCI chief. Also SC suggested banning IPL teams CSK and Rajasthan Royals from IPL-7 till the probe is over along with asking that none related to India Cement should be part of functioning of BCCI. Here one thing is to be noted that Indian Cricket team Captain is a Vice President of India Cement Ltd.
Interesting part is it appears that Supreme Court perhaps make it a mission to clean BCCI fully. A day before, former BCCI chief and arch rival of N.Srinivasan, Mr.A.C.Muthia on record suggested that Srini should step down and a committee of all former BCCI President should take over the top post!
But Supreme Court perhaps knew that rival or no rival, the present lot of BCCI masters have same colure! The sealed envelope submitted by Mukul Mudgal must have given all information of character, tactic and all sort of unethical practices of BCCI functioning behind the curtain. That’s why it suggested Sunil Gavaskar and observed that Sports persons should be at the helm of Sports organization!
This is indirect indication of Supreme Court, how serious it is in removing all non-sporting and vested interest groups from sports Organization. International Olympic Committee cleansed Indian Olympic Association dealing with a iron stick. SC now appears to bent upon in cleansing rest of the sports organization and it starts with the powerful organization like BCCI.
One can realize how dictatorial culture prevails in BCCI. After courts straight forward observation and suggestion (technically instruction), none in BCCI, be it the rival group of Srini or supporting group or even neutral group, is ready to talk anything. Forget about officials, even eminent cricketers like Rahul Dravid, K. Srikanth and Anil Kumble avoided questions from media while stating the matter is sub-judice. Everybody perhaps is afraid of the consequences, if Srinivasan comes out of the present situation!
But, one should be clear that SC is in no mood of relenting till things are set right in this powerful sports organisation. Optimistically I also have a wish-list for the betterment of Cricket in India, if the SC can implement or force BCCI to put into practice!
1) No active politician should be member of BCCI. For politicians, there must be a time period of at least five years of inactivity in politics, before they can become member of BCCI. Politicians can’t give time for polity, how can they do justice to Cricket!
2) The top most post must go to a sports person (in this case cricketer). On other posts there may be non-cricketers but such posts shall be considered as office of profit and shouldn’t have any conflict of interest to the occupiers business.
3) BCCI should be brought under RTI.
4) BCCI should be one organization and it should not affiliate state association. All state associations should merge in BCCI and there should always be direct election for central as well as zonal/state branches of BCCI. Any cricket fan/cricketer also can easily become a member, provided he is not in active politics or in active government jobs. All should have right to vote.
5) BCCI should be an autonomous organisation like ‘Institution of Engineers’, ‘Indian Road Congress’, where small groups of people can’t hijack the institution/organisation.
I am not sure whether my wish-list can be fulfilled but the question remains whether Supreme Court would be successful in bringing new order of transparency and ethics in BCCI?
Interestingly one of my friend was telling me yesterday that in India if something goes beyond repair; there are still two things available for making correction. One is Anna and the other is Court! I haven’t agreed with him neither disagreed too!