Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
  
Demand of desert coolers soars by 120 per cent: Survey
Thanks to the scorching heat and delayed monsoon, desert coolers have witnessed a growth of 120 per cent in their sales - particularly in Delhi-NCR, according to a sample survey carried out by the industry lobby group Assocham.

THE SURVEY team interviewed 50 shopkeepers each in Delhi, Ghaziabad, Noida, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Greater Noida, Bhadurgarh, and Sonepat, among other cities. The maximum sale of desert coolers was noticed in Delhi closely followed by Gurgaon.


The survey highlighted that with continuous humidity and soaring electricity rates, the sale of unregulated desert coolers has picked up momentum in the northern and eastern regions.

Assocham's Secretary General D S Rawat said that after a gap of five to six years, desert coolers sales in Delhi-NCR have seen a sharp upward trend because of the intense heat waves and apprehension of a delayed monsoon.

About 82 per cent desert coolers sellers said that people are showing special interest in room coolers, preferring them over air conditioners mainly because of continuously rising electricity tariff, which has made affording air conditioners an expensive proposition over the course the long summer.

The cooler prices have also increased by 10-15% from last year, and demand is still growing. The feedback received directly from the shopkeepers said that extreme heat in the northern and eastern regions have led to brisk sales of their products.

The survey also revealed that a new range of plastic-body air-coolers are in high demand as compared to the traditional desert air-coolers. It was also observed that even those people are buying air coolers who already had installed air-conditioners at their residence in the wake of increased electricity prices.

About 90% of the air-cooler market is unorganised. The rest 10% is dominated by the organised players such as Symphony and Bajaj among others. However, industry experts say that air-coolers will remain a safe bet for the next couple of years. As per the survey the air-cooler market is currently at over 2 million units growing at the rate of 10-15 per cent as compared to the AC market, which is growing at 40-50 per cent annually.

Fifty per cent of the revenue in air-cooler market comes from North India because of its dry summer conditions. 
 


COMMENTS (0)
Guest
Name
Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
}
Sign in to set your preference
Advertisement
merinews for RTI activists


Advertisement
Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.