Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
Doctors misdiagnose tuberculosis with 'lovesickness', teenager dies
There was not one but several signs that showed that Alina Sarag was in physical pain and that she was certainly not lovesick as the doctor's claimed. Suffering from Tuberculosis, Alina ultimately died of cardiac arrest.

FIVE DOCTORS, 4 hospitals, more than 50 calls to the GP over a period of four and a half month, weight loss, survival on baby food, vomiting 10 times a day and still the doctor's felt that Alina Sarag is lovesick and has 'met someone over the holidays.'

In spite of all the tell tale signs of something that was clearly not right with the 15-year-old girl, who died on January 6, no doctor could address the fact that she was suffering from a curable disease tuberculosis. A GP named Dr Sharad Shripadrao Pandit, accused her parents of "mollycoddling" her and said that she was heartbroken and did not have any physical condition.

The other side of the coin, which an inquest heard at Birmingham Coroner's Court was that the distraught teenager was in pain and that she was seriously ill, vomiting 10 times a day made her so weak that she had to be carried to the bed like an old lady. Breaking down at the court, Sultan Sarag, 43, remembered how his daughter was torn by the idea that the doctor's thought it was a matter of the heart that she was lovesick.

Not only that, the father was also accused by the GP that Alina was kicking up a fuss to keep him around so that he would nurse her and take care of her. From asking her whether he met someone over the holidays to telling her that she should see a spiritual guru or a psychiatrist, the doctors did everything but treat her. Mr. Sarag further testified that Doctor Pandit refused to test his daughter for TB and also asked them not to get it done. As reported in The Telegraph he further added, “There was mass neglect. The medical profession, as soon as they mess up they hide.”

The nightmare started when in 2009 Alina was diagnosed with the illness that she contracted the diseases from a fellow student in school. She was prescribed a course of antibiotics at Birmingham Chest Clinic but there was no follow up. In July 2010, she became ill again while returning from a trip to Pakistan but no test was conducted. At Heartland and City hospitals the doctors did not detect TB and after staying for 5 days there she was discharged. On January 6, 2011 after suffering from breathing difficulties, she was rushed to the hospital, where she died of cardiac arrest. The ongoing inquest is about to take 6 more days and it continues.

Editorial NOTE: This article is categorized under Opinion Section. The views expressed in this article are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of In case you have a opposing view, please click here to share the same in the comments section.
Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
Sign in to set your preference
merinews for RTI activists

Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.