Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
  
Donald Trump's nominee for navy secretary Philip Bilden withdraws nomination
United States President Donald Trump's nominee for navy secretary, Philip Bilden has withdrawn his name from consideration citing his privacy concerns and business interests.

Bilden's withdrawal adds another name to the series of similar decisions by other nominees who refused to serve under Trump. Vincent Viola, a billionaire Wall Street trader was nominated by Trump as Army secretary but Viola withdrew his nomination. Labour secretary nominee Andrew Puzder has also withdrawn his name.

In a statement, Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said that Bilden, a former military intelligence officer, had asked for his nomination to be withdrawn.

"Mr Philip Bilden has informed me that he has come to the difficult decision to withdraw from consideration to be secretary of the navy. This was a personal decision driven by privacy concerns and significant challenges he faced in separating himself from his business interests," Mattis said.

Bilden, however said that he fully supports the President's agenda but he won't be able to serve in the office due to his family's financial interests.

"I will not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family's private financial interests," Bilden said. Thanking Trump, Bilden said that he was greatly honoured by Trumps consideration of him to lead the "committed and capable sailors and marines".

Mattis said he will make a recommendation to Trump for a leader "who can guide our Navy and Marine Corps team as we execute the presidents vision to rebuild our military". The secretary of the navy serves as the chief executive officer for both the Navy as well as the Marine Corps.

The White House had earlier denied reports that had surfaced two weeks ago that Bilden was considering stepping down.

"Just spoke with him and he is 100 per cent committed [sic] to being the next SECNAV pending Senate confirm," White House spokesman Sean Spicer tweeted on February 18.

COMMENTS (0)
Guest
Name
Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
}
Sign in to set your preference
Advertisement
merinews for RTI activists


Advertisement
Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.