The Prime Minister accepted that UPA had failed to control inflation in its current run however asked it to be considered in the backdrop that incomes of individuals at various level have grown faster than inflation.
He refuted any charges of corruption leveled against him personally and denied any instance of being asked to step down. He said he believes that history will judge him and his Govt. in a much kinder way than the current critics.
The key highlights of Manmohan Singh's press conference are as follows:
1. On corruption charges against PMO: Most of the charges on the government, the common wealth, the coal block scam etc. were during the UPA -I era, and in spite of all this the people of India gave us a second chance.
2. About Indian Tamil issue: The UPA government had tried to discuss it with the Srilankan government for numerous number of times, but it didn't work. And they feel that it can be resolved only by having a mutual talk between the Tamil Population in India and Tamil Population in Srilanka.
3. About Inflation and Price Rise: The UPA- II has failed to control inflation in the best possible way but the economic factors in the global scenario were not helpful either. The matter must also be considered in the backdrop that the income has risen faster than inflation in most cases. He highlighted saying in their regime, India became one of the largest producers of food and the rural consumption has increased per capita by 4 percent.
4. About Narendra Modi - If leading a mass scale genocide is the show of strength, then such leadership is not desirable for the country’s prime ministerial position. His dreams will not come true and having Narendra Modi as a Prime Minister will be disastrous for the country.
5. About Aam Aadmi Party - They have been able to tap the concerns of the common man and have been successful as of now, but I don't think it will work, still they must be given time and chance.
6. About himself- I haven’t thought through about my performance and I haven’t thought about my retirement. I haven’t thought through with the decisions that I am dissatisfied with.