Numerous benefits accrue with the usage of laser therapy in medical science – chief ones are listed below:
- Lasers are more precise than traditional surgical instruments. Cuts can be made shorter and shallower and this causes less damage to tissue
- Operations are generally shorter than traditional surgeries. They can often be done on an outpatient basis. Patients do not have to spend the night in the hospital – if general anesthesia is required, it is usually used for a shorter time.
- The healing time is faster for the patients. If compared with traditional surgeries, patients have less pain, swelling and scarring through laser therapy treatment
- In general, there is no contact with mechanical instruments, so sterilization is built in.
- There is a clear field view, because no mechanical instrument blocks it.
- Possibility to perform microsurgery under a microscope. The laser beam passes through the same microscope
- Possibility to perform surgical procedures inside the body without opening it, using optical fibers to transmit the laser beam
- The laser can be used as a precise cutting tool – it can be controlled by a computer, and operate with a very small area of effect under a microscope
- In general, sealing of blood vessels is done while cutting any tissue
- There is no need for repetitive diathermy (the treatment of organs or tissues by passing high frequency electric currents through them in order to generate heat, thus increasing circulation) to burn tissues to stop bleeding
In general, the results of surgery of using lasers are better than the results using a surgical knife. Laser eye operation is proving to be a success in parts of the country
If patients are going to get a chance to get treatment through painless or less painless procedures even in extreme conditions, such a treatment should find its way easily in as many hospitals as possible. Additionally, animal lovers would also simply love to note that scope getting expanded for veterinary doctors to use laser treatment while treating animals.
Concerned quarters can do well to promote the idea of laser treatment on a mass scale throughout India at affordable rates by well-educated and well groomed medical professionals.