- Traffic congestion and lack of infrastructure could be one valid reason for some trains running late. From infrastructure view point, due to lack of enough platforms at many station junctions, passenger trains are made to wait outside the station for sometime till they get clearance to enter free/empty platforms. Creating more and more platforms at all those station junctions where there are frequent delays of trains stopping should be planned and considered on a priority basis.
Additionally, even today, there are many sectors in India which have a single track system which means if a train is coming from the opposite direction, then one of the forward going trains in the same track is made to shift to an alternative rail line available at some station points and wait till such time the clearnace is obtained once the passing train moves on. Therefore, priority should be given to convert all the single track to double track systems, depending upon the traffic movement, to the extent possible which would solve this issue once for all.
- At times, due to weather foggy weather conditions, the movement of trains gets affected. Experts need to be consulted as to how best to solve this issue and if required special lighting arrangements should come up in the train engine front which may prove to be a solution for this issue.
- Last year, in the last week of July, many trains in Northern India could not run for sometime due to power failure in one of the national grids. One solution could be train services could have their own power generation and grid availability with proper back ups so that they do not depend on any outside agency for supply of power. Such a move will also help the society in better distribution of power to cover vast areas of population in many places.
- It is learnt, as a code of conduct, loco pilots (train drivers) are supposed to stop the train once they see forward rail lines are merged in water. This situation happens mainly in rainy seasons and is one of the major causes for some trains to run late. Perhaps, in the present system, once the water gets accumulated, loco pilots have to wait till the water gets cleared in its own natural way and therefore they delay in running the services.
Experts can do a study on track systems available in advanced countries and can introduce measures to pump out water accumulation from railway tracks immediately soon after its accumulation during rainy seasons to enable the loco pilots to keep moving forward on clear track conditions.
- At times, Loco pilots (drivers) reporting on duty could be delayed which could result in delay in train services. Therefore, the present laws should be strengthened to ensure time punctuality of loco pilots are well maintained at all times.
- It is also observed that loco pilots have to keep blowing train horns at times regularly because some passengers / some hawkers community people and others do not mind crossing railway tracks inspite of the approahing train in the same track coming closer and closer. Blowing of such horns frequently in railway stations is irritable as it emits huge noise and also such incidents restricts the loco pilots to reduce the train speed as they have to give priority to safety of all. Therefore, ways and means should be found out to ensure that people do not cross railway tracks especially when trains are approaching in the same track and coming closer. At some stations, barbed wire fencing is put up between two platforms located close to one another in between the railway lines. This move is certainly desisting passengers and hawkers community to cross railway tracks and helping them to resort to taking legalised route for hopping to different platforms. Maybe such system should be introduced in as many platforms as possible.
- All railway crossings in the country should have manned gates to ensure that loco pilots do not get stressed while passing through such places. This issue should get a good priority from all concerned.
- At times, some passengers do pull the chain to stop the train from their self view point to enable them to get out of the train at their place of convenience. Security measures should be strengthened to ensure that such incidence do not get repeated in some trains enabling them to move freely to reach their proper destination in time.
Apart from the above, there could be many more reaons for trains getting delayed. However, the good thing that we all hear today in railway platforms is an apology tendered through the speaker mike system for trains running late. However, debate should be initiated for paying compensation to the passengers if trains are delayed. One thing for sure, such a move will certainly help the trains to run in time because the responsibility and accountability will become more transparent as "pay out money is involved" by the Railways which would directly/indirectly point out to exact irregularity in the system. The satisfaction quotient of the passenger community will also get a boost through this measure.
The most popular citizen journalists' reports on merinews chosen automatically on the basis of views and comments
View more jobs