Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
  
Khedar unit shut down after ash dykes overflow
Unit 1 of Khedar thermal plant was closed today early morning at 2 O' clock following overflowing of ash dykes yesterday that damaged the crops in nearby fields. The villagers manhandled the HPGCL officials after water entered their fields.

THE OVERFLOW started on late Sunday evening around 8 pm. Chief Engineer, K C Garg of thermal plant along with other officials visited the site after the overflow. Police also rushed to site on hearing this news. The water has entered 50 to 60 acres of adjoining fields.

Villagers had feared it for last one month and had made complaints to HPGCL authorities. Both the units were running at two third load due to dykes overflow threat for the last one month. The position of ash dykes at the Khedar thermal plant has been critical for the last three months. It may be mentioned that chief engineer Khedar had informed the additional chief secretary power on July 18 this year that the position of ash dykes at power station is critical and till now pond ash has been lifted by various agencies.

Two dykes in 150 acres of land with 7 meters height have been designed for 20 % ash disposal and the same were being used for more than 90 % leading to complete filling of ash dykes.

According to official sources, the EPC contractor was to develop a system where 80 % dry/sold ash was to be collected and remaining 20 % ash was to be merged with water and sent to dykes. But the system has not been made operative till date by the EPC contractor. Against the designed lifting of 6000 tonne per day of dry ash, 500 to 600 tonne is being sent to ash silos. The remaining 95 % ash is being pushed to ash dykes with heavy inflow of water.

According to sources, slurry inflow with high ash contents is 2500 cubic meter per hour and discharge has been limited to 1120 cubic meter per hour even with the use of third emergency pump.

COMMENTS (0)
Guest
Name
Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
}
Sign in to set your preference
Advertisement

Interesting content

merinews for RTI activists

Create email alerts

Total subscribers: 208714
Advertisement
Vibhav Kant Upadhyay
ISL - Indian Super League 2014
Indian Super League Fixtures
Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.