The Western capitalist model of development, which the rulers of India have been implementing since 1991, has wrought havoc on the nation. The much publicized mantra of growth-rate has thrown people out of jobs, hampered prospects of employment, increased prices of essential commodities and created inequality between the working classes and the wealthy ones by leaps and bounds. Fossil-fuel driven technology has harmed the environment and process of global warming is being accelerated. The Socialist Party asserts that this must be stopped and the following agenda be adopted for nation-building:
1. India should discard capitalist model of development and evolve agro-industry based model making full employment as its main objective.
2. Rupee is falling in the world market because we import much more than what we export. This must be stopped. Import of gold should be banned. Import and consumption of oil should be cut by half.
Number of cars allotted to officers of Central and State governments must be drastically reduced. All four-wheelers should be put off the road once in a week to put a check on pollution. Public transport must be expanded and run efficiently.
3. FDI must be banned in Retail, Defense, Banking, Insurance, Pensions etc.
4. Lands under cultivation should not be taken over for industrial development. All new ventures should be located in barren and non-habited hilly lands so that regional imbalance be corrected. Network of communications, irrigation, electricity should be expanded in the rural areas on priority basis.
Interest on agriculture loans should not exceed 4 percent. Remunerative prices should be assured for agriculture produces. Rights of Gram Sabhas, as enshrined in the Constitution, to decide about the desirable use of land, water, forests, minerals must be honoured by the Central and State Governments.
5. No corporatization of education. The state should provide common, free, qualitative education to all. Special facilities should be provided to women and tribals for education.
6. No privatization of public health services. There should be adequate supply of doctors, equipments and medicines in the Primary Health Centers and public hospitals.
7. Women must be protected from all type of violence and injustice. Commercialization of female body must be stopped. Women’s Reservation Bill should be passed forthwith.
8. All youths, particularly Muslims, put in jails without trial should be released forthwith. Recommendations of Sachar Committee Report should be implemented honestly and speedily.
9. With a view to protect children and women from malnutrition and to provide food security to all citizens, Public Distribution System must be run efficiently. Pilferage must be plugged.
10. Citizens’ right to time-bound service in government offices must be assured. Corrupt politicians and government employees must be punished severely.
11. A pension of Rs. 2000 per month should be given to all female and male workers above 60 years of age in the unorganized sector.
Public Meeting on 11 October 2013
To conclude ‘Bring in Socialism - Defeat Capitalism’ campaign, a public meeting will be held at Batla House Chowk (Okhla) on 11 October. Justice Rajindar Sachar (senior member of the Socialist Party), Dr. Prem Singh (general secretary), Ram Gopal Sisodia (member, national executive and former MLA), Renu Gambhir (president, Delhi State) and other leaders will speak in the public meeting.