According to official records of last five years, UP, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand are forced to overdraw from the grid due to shortage of power and private DISCOMS in Delhi are minting money by way of surrendering allocated power. It is very clear that DISCOMS in Delhi have been allocated much more power.
AIPEF has alleged that about 5000 MW additional power was allocated to Delhi in the name of Common Wealth Games (CWG). Even 2500 MW power has been allocated from Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) which is far away from Delhi. This move was apparently aimed at obliging private DISCOMS of Delhi. Even after that Delhi was further allocated power from Jhajjar and Dadri Plant also in the name of CWG.
It is evident from UI Account of Northern states that in last six years, UP has paid UI charges as high as Rs.5941.05 crore, Haryana has paid Rs.4841.19 crore, Rajasthan has paid Rs.3302.88 crore and Punjab has paid Rs.1949.41 crore. In contrast to this Delhi DISCOMS earned Rs.4015.25 crore during the corresponding period by way of surrendering allocated power.
Padamjit Singh, Chairman AIPEF said that in case of central sector power projects 85% of the capacity is allocated on long term basis to the beneficiary states of the region. The remaining 15 % capacity is the unallocated power which is given on seasonal basis to the states who are deficit in that season. Punjab, Haryana and UP have maximum shortage in summer/paddy season while the hill states have deficit in winter.
The most popular citizen journalists' reports on merinews chosen automatically on the basis of views and comments
View more jobs