There are several mechanisms by which emotional stress might trigger an acute heart attack. The physiological changes that have been described in the morning period of enhanced cardiovascular risk — increase in blood pressure, heart rate, vascular tone, and platelet agreeability — also may result from mental stress.
These factors may all be related to abnormalities in autonomic tone and activation of sympathetic nervous system activity, which may enhance platelet aggregation and increase the susceptibility to serious ventricular arrhythmias.
Guide to heart patients
- To have their BP < 120/80 mm hg
- To have blood sugar levels < 90 mg%
- Not to miss their regular dose of cardiac drugs, if on. The morning pulse and BP should be normal.
- Ask your doctor for a beta-blocker if not contraindicated to keep the stress under control
- Say no to smoking
- Say no to alcohol
- To have flu vaccine taken.
- Avoid heavy eating.
- Not to ignore any suicidal thoughts.
- To have a complete medical check up done including a treadmill.
The most popular citizen journalists' reports on merinews chosen automatically on the basis of views and comments
View more jobs