Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's birth anniversary was observed by various institutions, organizations and groups throughout the country. Neaji always advocated and struggled for complete and unconditional independence for India and was imprisoned eleven times and expelled by the British rulers from the country. During the Second World War, he turned to the Axis powers for help in gaining India's independence by force. With Japanese support, he organised the Indian National Army (INA) to struggle for India's independence.
In Kolkata, a special function held by Netaji Research Bureau at Netaji Bhavan on Sunday was chaired by President Pranab Mukherjee
to pay homage to Subhas Chandra Bose. Calling Netaji a great son of India
and real youth icon, Mukherjee said that Bose's life was a story of sacrifice and service to inspire us.
At the 116th birth anniversary celebrations at Netaji Bhavan, Bose's daughter Anita Pfaff, her husband Martin Pfaff were also present. Mukherjee further said that Bose was not only a freedom fighter but also subscribed to the concept of planning and planned economic development.
Here are some famous one-liners attributed to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- Freedom is not given, it is taken.
- Nationalism is inspired by the highest ideals of the human race – satyam, shivam, sundaram.
- No real change in history has ever been achieved by discussions.
- One individual may die for an idea; but that idea will, after his death, incarnate itself in a thousand lives.
- The freedom that we shall win through our sacrifice and exertions, we shall be able to preserve with our own strength.
- We must have the motive-power that will inspire us to brave deeds and heroic exploits.
- Who are always prepared to sacrifice their lives, are invincible.
- You give me your blood and I will give you Independence.