The International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Haroon Lorgat said on Friday that the next ICC World Cup, which will be played in 2015 in Australia and New Zealand, the number of teams will be reduced from 14 in the present edition to 10.
THE INTERNATIONAL Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Haroon Lorgat said on Friday that the next ICC World Cup which will be played in 2015 in Australia and New Zealand, number of teams will be reduced from 14 in the present edition to 10. The governing body of ICC had taken a decision on team reduction in Cricket World Cup last year.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat described the 50-over format as more skill-based and suitable for the top teams during a news conference on Friday. Meanwhile, ICC chief executive also said that the number of teams will be increased to 16 instead of 12 in the World T20 championship.In the current format of World Cup, four non-test playing nations Netherlands, Ireland, Kenya and Canada are also participating. In 2003 ICC World Cup, Kenya secured their berth for the semi-final and became the first non-Test playing team to reach the semi-finals. In the 2007 World Cup, Ireland moved in the super eight after upset over Pakistan. Earlier on Thursday, Cricket Kenya chief executive Tom Sears criticised the ICC for its decision on team reduction to 10 nations for the Cricket World Cup in 2015. Since 1996, Kenya have appeared in all five World Cups Cricket tournaments.