Fiber?containing grain products, fruits and vegetables may help reduce the risk of some cancers, said Padamshri & Dr. BC Roy National Awardee, Dr. KK Aggarwal, President Heart Care Foundation of India & National Vice President Elect IMA.
As per the USDA Food Guide Pyramid,
one should take 5–9 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Fruits and vegetables may help lower the risk of some cancers. Fruits, vegetables and grain products that contain fiber, particularly soluble fiber, may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Fiber–containing grain products, fruits and vegetables may help reduce the risk of some cancers, said Padamshri & Dr. BC Roy National
Awardee, Dr. KK Aggarwal, President Heart Care Foundation of India &
National Vice President Elect IMA.
A serving size is:
• One medium–size fruit
• 1/2 cup raw, cooked, frozen or canned fruits (in 100% juice) or vegetables
• 3/4 cup (6 oz.) 100% fruit or vegetable juice
• 1/2 cup cooked, canned or frozen legumes (beans and peas)
• 1 cup raw, leafy vegetables
• 1/4 cup dried fruit
• 5 servings mean 2 fruits and 3 vegetables; 7 servings mean 3
fruits;4 vegetables and 9 servings mean 4 fruits, 5 vegetables Carrot, Celery, Cantaloupe, Cucumber and Corn are the five "Cs" which can be incorporated in the 'five-a-day' diet.
• Snacking on raw vegetables instead of potato chips.
• Adding fruit to your cereal at breakfast.
• Using the salad bar when you go out for lunch or to the grocery store.
• Loading up on juice instead of a usual coffee, tea or soda.
• Wash fruits and vegetables with water and scrub with a dish brush
when appropriate: for example, before eating apples, cucumbers,
potatoes, or other produce in which the outer skin or peeling is consumed.
• Throw away the outer leaves of leafy vegetables, such as lettuce and cabbage.
• Peel and cook when appropriate, although some nutrients and fiber
may be lost when produce is peeled.
• When buying from a salad bar, avoid fruits and vegetables that look
brownish, slimy or dried out. These are signs that the product has been held
at an improper temperature.
• Wash cutting boards with hot water, soap and a scrub brush to remove
• Wash hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before
and after handling food, especially fresh whole fruits and vegetables
and raw meat, poultry and fish. Clean under fingernails, too.
Formula 1: Have a mix of seven colours and six tastes
Formula 2: Try to eat fruits alone and not mix them with any thing.
Formula 3: Vegetables can be mixed with any other food.
About HCFI : The only National Not for profit NGO, on whose mega
community health education events, Govt. of India has released two
National commemorative stamps and one cancellation stamp, and who has
conducted one to one training on” Hands only CPR” of 50457 people
since 1st November 2012.
The CPR 10 Mantra is – “within 10 minutes of death, earlier the
better; at least for the next 10minutes, longer the better; compress
the centre of the chest of the dead person continuously and
effectively with a speed of 10x10 i.e. 100 per minute.”