Foul breath is a problem that has plagued humankind for centuries. Everyone suffers from halitosis once in a while. However, thanks to advancements in dental hygiene, there are various simple and readily available remedies for halitosis.
The remedies you use for this conditionwill depend on what is causing it. Halitosis for example can be caused by mouth dryness. Halitosis in this case may not be easily fixed by using a breath freshener. You may have to treat the cause of themouth drynessconditionfirst before you can find a solution to halitosis.
The following are some home remedy treatments effective for treating bad breath. Many of these treatments are recommended by dentists to patients to improve their oral hygiene.
· Keep your mouth clean by brushing and flossing regularly. Use a small or medium sized toothbrush with soft bristles. You can ask your dentist to recommend the brand or type of toothbrush they prefer to dental hygiene. Dentists recommend that you brush at least twice a day after meals. This will ensure the removal of food and bacteria trapped in your mouth.
· Ask your dentist for instructions on the proper care of your dentures. Many dentists recommend that they be removed when sleeping and cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis. This will help to prevent the buildup of bacteria on dentures as well as get rid of any food particles on the dentures.
· Stimulate the flow or production of salvia in your mouth if you suffer from dry mouth. This could include simply chewing sugarless gum. It is important to avoid candy and gum with sugar as this will put you at greater risk of developing cavities.
· Snack on cheese. Despite the odor given off by many types of cheese, cheese is actually an effective food in fighting off foulbreath.Add low fat cheese as a daily snack.
· Snack on fresh vegetables such as carrots and celery. These vegetables are effective in fighting plaque. They also keep your breath smelling fresh.
· Chew on some aromatic spices such as cinnamon sticks, cardamom or fennel. These natural spices are often incorporated into commercial toothpastes and mouth washes to give them a nice fresh smell. You can therefore benefit from them directly by chewing on them in their natural form. These naturally aromatic spices also have antimicrobial properties.
If you are consistent in your oral hygiene practices but notice that you still have persistent pungentbreath, take some time to talk to your dentist. There may be a deeper cause for your condition.