The National Human Rights Commission has taken suo motu cognizance of a media report that five workers suffocated to death and two others were in a critical condition after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a well in Karegaon, District Yavatmal, Maharashtra.
incident was reported to have happened on the 31st March, 2015. The
critically ill workers were admitted to Sevagram Hospital.
Commission has observed that the contents of the media report, if
true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of the
victims. Accordingly, it has issued a notice to the Chief Secretary,
Maharashtra calling for a report within two weeks.
He has also been asked to furnish details of the ex-gratia relief paid, if any, to the next of kin of the five deceased workers and to the two critically ill workers.
The Commission has also asked information on the steps taken for providing the treatment to the two workers.