World's first solar battery invented
Vishnu Mohan | 06 Oct 2014
Researchers at The Ohio State University in the US have successfully invented the world's first solar battery.
Chief highlights on this achievement are as follows :
- The device boasts of integrating the function of a solar panel that captures light, and a cheap battery that stores energy into one hybrid device.
- This device will help bring down the costs of renewable energy by 25 percent, according to the researchers
- In this innovation, there is a mesh solar panel that allows air to enter the battery, and a special process for transferring electrons between the solar panel and the battery electrode.
- There is light and oxygen inside this device enabling different parts of the chemical reactions that charge the battery
- This invention also solves a longstanding problem in solar energy efficiency, by eliminating the loss of electricity that normally occurs when electrons have to travel between a solar cell and an external battery. In general, around 80% of the electrons emerging from a solar cell make it into a battery. With this innovation, light is converted to electrons inside the battery, so nearly 100 percent of the electrons are saved.